• Brett Jones and Markus Naglestad score to give CFC 2-1 win
  • Tough defensive performance helped secure the victory

The boys in blue notched their first victory of the regular season against Michigan Stars in a close match that will live in CFC lore for quite some time. After ending the first half scoreless, both teams scored in the second, and Chattanooga FC swiped the victory in the final minutes of added time.

The first half was an evenly matched contest, as both teams fought for opportunities in front of the net. Alec McKinley and Cameron Woodfin both had solid shots in the first half, but the Stars defense proved up to the challenge. The first half remained scoreless as the whistle blew.

The Soccer gods certainly saved the fireworks for the second half. Stars got on the board first in the 64th minute, as Alex Satrustegui fired a rocket from the right side of the box past Phil D’Amico. With that, it was 1-0 Stars.

Chattanooga FC returned fire just 17 minutes later. Brett Jones launched a first touch rocket from just inside the left side of the box towards the right lower corner to tie the match up 1-1. As the game headed into extra time, a penalty was called on Michigan Stars for a handball in the box. Markus Naglestad sealed the victory for the home team with a calmly executed goal into the lower left corner. The final whistle blew on the very next play, and Chattanooga FC earned an exciting victory in front of nearly 3,000 fans.

“It was a great win for us” said Chattanooga FC Head Coach Peter Fuller. “Obviously badly needed in a short season like we are in right now. Very proud of the guys! Battled and competed hard and we got some great performances not only from our starting group but from the three substitutes that came on late. This is a great way to go in to our two exhibition games.”

CFC has two road matches against North Alabama SC and Georgia Revolution before returning home May 29th against Maryland Bobcats. Tickets are available now at CFCTIX.com.