Chattanooga FC traveled to Milwaukee (WI) last weekend to face Milwaukee Torrent for the first-ever meeting between the two teams. Chattanooga FC’s starting lineup was Phil D’Amico as goalkeeper; Gabi Torres, Juan Sanchez, Soren Yuhaschek, and Markus Smarzoch at defense; Genki Miyachi, Juan Hernandez, and Cam Woodfin at midfield; Joao Costa, Felipe Oliveira, and Alun Webb at striker. In the first half, both teams sought rhythm, resulting in a back and forth contest for most of the first forty-five minutes. Each team had several goal-scoring opportunities in the first half, including an Alun Webb shot off of the crossbar. The game was scoreless going into halftime.

The second half started with Ruben Morillas coming on for Soren Yuhaschek at defense. Opportunities increased for both teams in the second half as the flow of play opened up. In the sixtieth minute, wing back defender Gabi Torres made a key defensive stop in his defensive third, turn the ball upfield using his speed and lai the ball off to a streaking Felipe Oliveira (a.k.a. “Pipe”). After his pass, Torres found himself in an impromptu forward position and he received a pass back from Pipe. With his back to goal near the top of the Milwaukee area, Torres made a turn and served a cross to Alun Webb on the back side of the goal. The Torrent defense attempted a clearance, but the ball fell to Markus Smarzoch who played the ball first-time back into the heart of the Milwaukee area. Joao Costa was in the right place at the right time and first-timed Smarzoch’s pass out of the air and smashed the ball into the back of the net.

With a 1-0 lead, Chattanooga FC seemed to find some confidence on the ball and a better rhythm. However, the host team seemed to play with a new intensity, and, in the eighty-third minute, Milwaukee won a free kick twenty yards outside of the CFC area. The ball bounced around and was headed several times in the CFC area, finally falling to a Milwaukee player whose back was to goal. The Milwaukee player performed a bicycle kick which, although it was not full-power, was placed accurately in the left side of the net, making the game tied 1-1.

There were several opportunities both teams in the waning minutes of the game, including a goal by Milwaukee that was later called back due to offsides. Several minutes later, the final whistle blew and Chattanooga FC and Milwaukee Torrent’s first-ever meeting resulted in a 1-1 draw.

Several Chattahooligans made the twelve hour trip to Milwaukee for the match. It’s worth noting that Milwaukee’s official live stream of the the game was unavailable due to technical difficulties, but several Chattahooligan supporters solved the issue by livestreaming the game on their phones via social media, making the match viewable for all fans.

Chattanooga FC’s next match is Saturday, September 14 in Finley Stadium versus Napa Valley FC. Tickets, including 4-pack Members Cup packages and youth ticketing options, are available at This upcoming match is also “First Responder and Military Appreciation Night”. All first responders and military personnel will receive free admission by displaying their first responder or military ID to Chattanooga FC game day ticketing staff.